Five Essential Qualities Your Support Team Must Have
In many ways, your IT support team is the key to your business. Great tech support is essential to success these days, whether its helping you stay ahead of the technology curve or meeting the goals of your business. More than one company has failed despite having an excellent business plan, simply because the IT and technology consultants failed to deliver excellent performance when it mattered most.
That same level of support is essential to the health of your balance sheet as well. For most businesses, IT support is a significant expense, and if you don’t spend wisely it ends up being the business equivalent of letting money go down the drain. Poor support also diverts money that could easily be used to shore up other elements of your business that are just as important.
So what does it take to deliver stellar performance? There are several attributes that every member of your support team must have, and they must reflect the core values of your business as a whole when they take action. Here’s a list of these attributes, in order of importance, along with a description of how they should work and why they’re important.
- Expertise. Each member of your team must have an extremely high level of expertise. But there’s room for other types of expertise on your team as well. Some support people are brilliant communicators, cost analyzers or problem solvers, and those skills are often invaluable. It’s important to have team members with a wide range of skills so to you can cover all the bases when it comes to meeting both your internal business needs and those of your customers.
- Work ethic: Be available 24/7. In today’s world of instant connectivity and communication, immediate availability is essential. Acknowledging a problem quickly simply isn’t enough; the problem must be acted on and solved as soon as possible. Moreover, this instant communication must be superb and comprehensive; everyone on the team must know the problem is being solved as well as how and when the solution will be implemented and completed.
- Comprehensive knowledge: Know the product, forward, backward and inside-out. It should go without saying that everyone on your support and IT team should know your products completely, but they should also be aware of their history and their future. That means being up to speed on earlier versions of your product, and knowing how to integrate those versions with updated systems. Finally, they must also be able to predict the future to at least some extent – i.e., they have to anticipate whatever improvements are going to be made as soon as possible, and be able to come up with ways to successfully implement and integrate them with existing products.
- Go the extra mile: Do more than solve problems – recommend solutions. Good support people solve problems. Great ones recommend solutions going one step beyond the needs of your internal business and those of your customers, and they start the ball rolling in putting those recommendations in place.This requires both the technical knowledge and creative thinking. It also demands teamwork and great communication, both internally and externally. If your support people consistently go the extra mile, the results will ultimately be reflected on your balance sheet and in employee and customer satisfaction.
- Think big and small: Strategy and planning. Success in this area means more than just understanding and recommending “the next big thing.” It involves knowing which solutions and technologies are best for you and why, and part of that is knowledge is about knowing which way the market is going to move in advance. Part of it is about the “vision thing” as well. Your support people have to have a clear idea of both your short-term and long-term goals, and they must know how to forge a path to accomplish them. Success in the moment is great, but its just as important to understand why you’re successful and to use that understanding to take your success to the next level.
[/list]At TSI, we have all these qualities, both as individuals and as a business. Our IT and support teams is ready and able to help you develop a technology strategy and a plan that will help you achieve business results. Please contact our team and let’s innovate and achieve success together.